1934

Establishment of the Library

The history of Vitebsk State Medical University Library dates back to the November of 1934, when Vitebsk distance education medical institute was reorganized into a combination of hospital and full-time attendance medical university. The library was located on the first floor of a wooden building of a former church on Kommunisticheskaya Street (Botanical Garden).
1959

Moving to the main academic building

In 1959 the Medical Library together with the Medical Institute were moved to the new building in Frunze Avenue (it is the main building of the university nowadays). The reading room for students (150 seats) and the reading room for degree associates (10 seats) were opened.
1981

moving to the laboratory and theoretical building

In 1981 the library was moved to new areas in the constructed laboratory-theoretical building, where the reading room (70 seats) and the reading room foe degree associates (24 seats) were opened.
1997

Opening the delivery desk of educational literature for the FACULTY OF OVERSEAS STUDENTS TRAINING

Delivery desks for educational literature for overseas students (General Practice Department and Pharmacy Department (in 1997), Dentistry Department (in 2001)) were organized. Also, the specialized reading room for periodicals and the reading room for degree associates (1998) were singled out.
2002

beginning of automation of library processes

It started in 2002, when the professional program AILS MARC-SQL version 1.6 was purchased. The module “Cataloguing” was introduced first, and in 2003 the creation of electronic catalogue was started. In 2003 the section of computerization of library processes was singled out. The electronic library was opened (24 seats).
2010

moving to the newly constructed building

In 2010 the library was moved to the new building with all the modern facilities and all the necessary services provided.
2015

Transition to paperless technology of serving readers

On September 1, 2015, the transition to the paperless technology “Electronic Reader's Form” (E-form) was completed. An electronic order has been implemented. AILS MARC-SQL version 1.17 is in operation.
2016

Creating an open access repository

The VSMU repository is an electronic archive that provides access to full-text publications of scientific, educational and methodological purposes of authorship of the university staff.

The history of Vitebsk State Medical University Library dates back to the November of 1934, when Vitebsk distance education medical institute was reorganized into a combination of hospital and full-time attendance medical university. In the December of 1934 the very first textbooks for students were provided. Thus the basis of the library collection was formed. The institude didn’t have a special premises, the chairs were dispersed around the city. The library was located on the 1st floor of a wooden building of a former church building on Communist Street (Botanical Garden).

During the period of occupation (the Second World War) the library was completely destroyed. Its reconstruction began after the war. By the end of 1946 the library collection was 5600 items. It was greatly enlarged by virtue of different institutions and organizations (Vitebsk Regional Health Care Department, Mogilyov Medical College, the 1st Moscow Medical Institute, the 2nd Leningrad Medical Institute, State Central Scientific Medical Library (Moscow)). At that time there were 420 readers in the library. And 3 librarians on the staff.

By the end of 1950 the library collection was already 30 000 items. The amount of readers increased to 940. With 5 librarians on the staff.

In 1959 the Medical Library together with the Medical Institute were moved to the new building in Frunze Avenue (it is the main building of the university nowadays), where it occupied an area of 1100 sq.m. The reading room for students (150 seats) and the reading room for degree associates (10 seats) were opened.

In 1960 the following sections were singled out in the library: the acquisition department, the processing department, the service department, the reference and information department. During those years, library and bibliographic services were being improved. Classes on the basics of library and bibliographic knowledge began to be held for students.

In 1981 the library was moved to new areas in the constructed laboratory-theoretical building, where the reading room (70 seats) and the reading room foe degree associates (24 seats) were opened.

Delivery desks for educational literature for overseas students (General Practice Department and Pharmacy Department (in 1997), Dentistry Department (in 2001)) were organized. Also, the specialized reading room for periodicals and the reading room for degree associates (1998) were singled out.

Reading room, 1934-41
Reading room, 2004
Reference and bibliographic department, 1980
Reference and bibliographic department, 1990
previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
 

The introduction of automation into library processes began with the acquisition of the professional software program MARC-SQL version 1.6 (in 2002). The module “Cataloguing” was introduced first, and in 2003 the creation of electronic catalogue was started. In 2003 the section of computerization of library processes was singled out. The electronic library was opened (24 seats).

In 2010 the library was moved to the new building with all the modern facilities and all the necessary services provided.

In 2013 the library introduced MARC-SQL version 1.17, which provides comprehensive automation of all technological processes. Students and university teachers have free Internet access.

In 2015 the transition to paperless technology. "Electronic reader’s form" (e-form) enables pre-ordering books. In 2013 the library launched the website with virtual reference service (since 2014) and institutional repository (since 2016).

The Library is the best structural unit of VSMU 2018!

At the reporting meeting on the results of the university's work in 2018 for achieving high performance in work, introducing innovative forms and methods of serving users, actively working to form the information culture of students, listeners and teachers, to promote the scientific works of the teaching staff in the global information space, for the creation of high-quality full-text content that contributes to the promotion of the university in international rankings and active humanitarian and educational work, the library staff was recognized as the winner in the nomination "The best structural unit of VSMU"
коллектив на вручении диплома

footer_logo

Address: 210009, Frunze Av., 25, Vitebsk, Republic of Belarus
Tel.: (0212) 33-90-22 (Director), 33-90-34 (Acquisition Department)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 lib.vsmu.by 

Latest news